by Lauren Mandel
So while you’re celebrating the beginning of 2016, we want to celebrate you, our readers, by recapping our top 10 blogs of the past year.
- Have you ever wondered if you can use your HSA funds to pay your Obamacare premiums? Well apparently, many of you have: This blog post was our number-one read post of the entire year.
- The Obamacare tax penalty is no joke: This year, the fine for going uninsured went up even more to $695 or 2.5% of your income, whichever is greater. And yes, you really can get fined for not having coverage.
- Looks like many of you valued a health insurance refresher before the third year of Open Enrollment began in November. This blog post answers questions about Obamacare and how to get enrolled.
- We released our first eBook in October, and the reception was extremely positive. Use our health insurance shopping guide to find coverage, and look out for a second eBook from us early next year.
- Did you know your plan could have a separate prescription deductible? It’s important to investigate this information before enrolling, and our blog post from 2012 can help you avoid sticker shock at the pharmacy.
- For many of us, carbohydrates are an unavoidable weakness. To help you enjoy healthier versions of the foods you already love, we suggested low-carb alternatives to your favorite comfort foods.
- We love creating infographics to illustrate important information, so we did just that for the three Open Enrollment dates you need to know. Pay particular attention to the January 31 date, which signifies the end of Open Enrollment.
- Do you prioritize your heart health? In honor of American Heart Month back in February, we suggested five of the best foods you should be eating to fuel your heart health.
- There are certain exceptions that allow you to get coverage outside of Open Enrollment, which are called Qualifying Life Events. Another infographic illustrates these events, which include having a baby, moving, and getting married.
- One of the most common Qualifying Life Events is having a baby, but did you know only some plans cover home births? Learn more about this type of coverage and whether midwives are covered, too.
Bonus: So it wasn’t in the top 10, but our blog post on what you could buy with $695 instead of paying the Obamacare tax penalty for going uninsured was one of our personal favorites.