Are you expecting a child? Congratulations!
Under the Affordable Care Act, all health insurance plans must cover the 10 Essential Health Benefits, including maternity and newborn care. Consider taking advantage of the following health services as you’re preparing to grow your family:
- Prenatal care
- Pregnancy-related counseling
- Enhanced coverage for high-risk pregnancies
- Midwifery services
- Labor and delivery services outside of a hospital setting
- Newborn care
In addition to maternity and newborn care, the Affordable Care Act also requires health insurance plans to provide certain preventive care services at no additional cost to the patient. These preventive care services will help ensure that your pregnancy goes smoothly:
- Folic acid supplements
- Breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling
- Anemia screening
- Gestational diabetes screening
- Rh Incompatibility screening
- Smoking cessation for pregnant tobacco users
- Syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and hepatitis B screening
- Urinary tract or other infection screenings
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
Welcoming a child qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period, a short window of time to sign up for health insurance. You have 60 days from the birth of your child to purchase health coverage, so be sure to sign up quickly if you are not already covered.
We’re here to help you find a plan that meets your growing family’s health and budgetary needs. To speak with a GoHealth licensed advisor, call us at (888) 322-7557, or start comparing your health plan options here.